Treatments with Vitamin C
Vitamin C is clearly the “grandfather” of traditional antioxidants we know and its powerful health benefits have been clearly established. Recent studies have also shown that treatment with high-dose of intravenous vitamin C kills cancer cells, while totally harmless for other healthy human cells. Thus, not only it helps eliminate cancer cells but slows tumor growth, preventing metastatic tissue to grow.
Besides its anti cancer characteristics, following are the numerous other health benefits of Vitamin C.
BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C
- Vitamin C promotes healthy mitochondria function, helping the adequate synthesis of ATP energy molecule.
- It stimulates the immune system to produce interferon, to increase the number of natural killer cells. It optimizes phagocytosis and leukocyte migration, putting immune system in defensive action.
- Reduces oxidative damage to p53, this is a gene called guardian of the cell, which defends the development of cancer.
- It has an important influence on the body’s defense system to modulate the activity of cells such as leukocytes and macrophages.
- Improves wound healing and reduces the symptoms caused by allergic reactions.
- It acts in the body as a carrier of oxygen and hydrogen and has antioxidant action against harmful effects of free radicals associated with the development of tumor, cardiovascular and neurological diseases.
- Participates actively in liver detoxification processes facilitating the elimination of toxins.
- Vitamin C helps in the conversion of amino acid neurotransmitters; therefore exerts an antidepressant action.
- Decreases the production of prostaglandin E2 and, therefore it prevents inflammation.
- Participates in the synthesis of steroid hormones essential for healthy aging and responsible for metabolism and fat oxidation (lipid) form.
- Recycles oxidized vitamin E, avoiding pro-oxidant effect in this condition.
- Involved in maintaining the integrity of gums, bones, teeth and blood vessels.
- Increases organic iron absorption in foods.
- Effectively combat the flu, allergies, asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
- It helps neutralize and eliminate any toxins accumulated in the body.
- It has been used in high doses in patients with AIDS.
- It is essential to withstand stress, it is the main nutrient for the adrenal glands.
- Helps diabetics to control blood sugar levels and protect arteries from damage caused by elevated blood sugar levels (protein glycosylation)
HEALTH PROTECTION cardivascular
- It helps control blood pressure.
- Raises “good” cholesterol (HDL)
- Lowers “bad” cholesterol (LDL)
- Limits the Lp (a) (genetic factor pro cardiovascular disease)
- Inhibits the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, preventing their entry into the vascular endothelium and limiting arterial blockage.
- Strengthens and relaxes the walls of blood vessels.
- Reduces the risk of vascular spasms that can cause heart attacks.
ENEMY OF CANCER
“Vitamin C has numerous effects on different biological activities, perhaps larger than any other nutrient”
Effects of Vitamin C as an anticancer agent:
- Prevents the formation of carcinogenic substances.
- Prevents damage of genetic material (DNA) caused by free radicals.
- Avoid carcinogenic activity of viruses and genes.
- Regulates and strengthens immunity.
- Slows the development of tumors.
How Does Vitamin C kill cancer cells?
Vitamin C can benefit those patients who are deemed terminally ill; since the infusion of this vitamin works to damage cancer cells, cancer patients can prolong their survival. Vitamin C goes through a chemical reaction when it interacts with cancer cells to create hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide that is produced can damage the DNA and other structures of cancer cells ultimately killing them. Vitamin C specifically targets and kills cancer cells while leaving normal cells unharmed. The reason for this is because normal cells, compared to cancer cells, have a significantly larger concentration of catalase. This specific catalase is responsible for the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Since cancer cells don’t have enough of this catalase, the hydrogen peroxide, that is produced by Vitamin C, builds up and becomes toxic to the cell.
Cancer cells also have a greater need for glucose (sugar) to operate, therefore, they have more glucose transporters to increase its uptake of. Vitamin C when infused in the bloodstream is transported into cells through these glucose transporters. So cancer cells take in more Vitamin C which produces more hydrogen peroxide that they can’t break down and leads to their death.
Vitamin C Infusion vs. Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy involves the use of strong drugs to treat cancer. It destroys any cells that are rapidly growing. When high dosage of Vitamin C is combined together with chemotherapy it can produce much more effective results in the destruction of cancer cells. According to the National Cancer Institute, “Treatment with high-dose vitamin c slowed the growth and spread of prostate, pancreatic, liver, colon, malignant mesothelioma, neuroblastoma, and other types of cancer cells.” During chemotherapy, both healthy and cancer cells are affected. This can cause many side effects to the body, some common ones include: fatigue, nerve tissue damage (causing pain, tingling and numbness) and cognitive impairment, making hard to think, concentrate and remember past memories. Studies have shown that chemotherapy along with Vitamin C treatments have reported fewer toxic side effects as well.